This is an exciting opportunity to join the technology team at CiteAb from July 2022 onwards. CiteAb is a market-leading life science data company, based in the beautiful city of Bath.
CiteAb provides world leading, high quality data that accelerates scientific research by helping scientists from the world’s top universities, pharmaceutical companies and life science reagent suppliers make more informed decisions.
We are expanding our tech team to accelerate development of our industry leading data collection, machine learning and search engine technology.
In this role, we’re looking for a junior developer to join our Ruby on Rails team.
We’re offering the opportunity to broaden your skillset and learn Ruby in a supportive environment at CiteAb, joining 3 senior Rubyists. Working in a small team means you will be rapidly making an important contribution to building fundamental parts of our systems that are helping scientists globally. Therefore, you’ll need to be enthusiastic, quick to pick up new concepts and diligent in your work. We embrace experimentation and innovation, but our customers have high expectations of quality and reliability. If the prospect of a role that’s not too prescriptive and encourages independence excites you, we would love to hear from you.
As a full stack web developer, you’ll be expected to both support existing projects and develop brand new features alongside our senior developers. This could be anything from improvements to our text mining technology, to adding new features to our search engine or researching new machine learning techniques to apply to our data collection pipeline.
We understand the value of a positive work/life balance, which is why everyone works 4.5 days a week but gets paid for 5! On top of this, we have an unmetered holiday policy, regular team socials and support hybrid-working, where you can choose to work remotely or from our central Bath office (only a short walk from the train station).
- Hold, or be about to receive, a university degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related subject
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and the ability to quickly pick up new languages and frameworks
- Have a knowledge of SQL databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL)
- Be quick to grasp scientific concepts. Whilst we don’t require any biology or chemistry background, you will be working in these domains every day and must be able to rapidly absorb and apply knowledge from colleagues
- Have excellent written and spoken English
- Either a year or more in industry, or side-project/placement experience
- Examples of websites you have had a leading role in creating.
- Experience with machine learning, text mining or managing large volumes of data
- Highly competitive salary
- 4.5 day week (for a full salary) – we don’t work Friday afternoons
- Unmetered holiday policy
- Private healthcare
- A MacBook pro (+ second display) and an assortment of other Apple goodies
- Flexible working – our team can decide when they arrive at work and leave and what days they work in the office. We are very flexible, trust them and assume they will do a great job, which they do.
- Opportunities to attend relevant events and conferences.
- A variety of team social events.
Although we are not accepting applications for fully-remote working, we are very flexible in our approach to remote working. You will be able to choose when you come into the office, and for how many days. Providing you are a strong communicator, this might be one day a week or even a month if you prefer home working.
To apply, send your CV and covering letter to CV@citeab.com
Please provide code examples from current work. If you’re unable to do so, please explain why.
No agencies / recruiters for this role please.
CiteAb are committed to considering diversity, equality and inclusion in our recruitment process.