Job title: Developer
Salary: Up to £40k based on experience
Hours: Full time
Contract Type: Permanent
This is an exciting opportunity to join the technology team at CiteAb, a market-leading life science data company based in Bath (UK). CiteAb provides data that accelerates scientific progress by helping scientists from the world’s top universities, pharmaceutical companies and life science reagent suppliers make more informed decisions.
We are expanding our tech team to accelerate development of our industry leading data collection, machine learning and search engine technology. In this role you will have a very wide brief and might find yourself making UI improvements to our public search engine, improving the efficiency of our internal workflows or developing new technology to automatically collect and moderate more data.
You must be excited about working on large scale text mining and classification, machine learning, web scraping, and data storage. Previous experience (not necessarily commercial) in any of these areas is a big plus.
You’ll need to be enthusiastic, quick to pick up new concepts and diligent in your work. We embrace experimentation and innovation, but our customers have high expectations of quality and reliability. Joining a small team you must be able to work independently and be happy both completing tasks assigned to you and in creating your own where you spot opportunities for improvement.
We are keen to hear from a wide range of applicants, from high performing recent graduates to experienced developers alike. It is unlikely that you are progressing from a coding boot camp as we do not have the resources to provide you with the training and support to develop.
- Be able to program in a relevant language (e.g. Ruby, PHP, Python), ideally having worked with an MVC web framework
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and the ability to quickly pick up Ruby on Rails if that is not your current language / framework of choice
- Have a solid knowledge of SQL databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL)
- Be quick to grasp scientific concepts. Whilst we don’t require any biology or chemistry background, you will be working in these domains every day and must be able to rapidly absorb and apply knowledge from colleagues
- Have excellent written and spoken English
- A year or more in industry (including placements)
- University degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related subject
- Experience with machine learning, text mining or managing large volumes of data
- 4.5 day week (for a full salary) – we don’t work Friday afternoons
- Unlimited holiday policy
- Private health care
- A MacBook Pro (+ second display) and an assortment of other goodies
- Flexible working schedule
- Work from a great office based in the heart of the beautiful city of Bath
- A variety of team social events
Please note, while we are currently working from home, we expect that we will return to the office at least part time and so we’re not accepting applications for fully remote working.
If you want to join our small, highly ambitious team and help us continue to define CiteAb as the world’s leading life science data company please send us an email including a recent CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links to examples of your work are helpful, but we understand not everybody has code in the public domain. For more information simply drop us an email email@example.com.